Thursday, June 5, 2014

I Quit Sugar

Where do I begin? I happen to love sugar. I sympathize with you, Sarah, I really do. However....can I completely give up sugar all together?

When I first started reading this book, I thought I'd give it a shot. Now, I'm not so convinced that  I could ever do it. I love fruit and I adore honey (both of which have, you guessed it, sugar.) But I dug in and took a deep breath.

I like her honesty in the beginning. She was a sugar addict. I can't say that I am a sugar addict. I don't eat a lot of sweets, but I love fruit (as I said) as a snack. I never really ate a lot of candy, but there are lots of foods that have hidden sugars in them, and if you can make it yourself (almond milk...I love almond milk, and there can be lots of hidden sugars in almond milk from store bought brands. If you make it yourself, so much better. She includes a recipe in the book that seems fairly simple....)

The book starts out with stats about sugar and then goes in to an 8 week "sugar free detox". While there are lots of great tips, I don't think I'd EVER make it past day two without wanting a strawberry. I'm obsessed....I love strawberries. Sorry, Sarah.

Then, there are the 108 recipes. Oh my goodness, I want to try so many of these. I made a few and they are extremely simple. Sarah explains in the beginning of the book that she does not like to waste, likes simplicity, and doesn't consider herself much of a "cook". So the recipes have very few ingredients and are quick and easy. While I do this already, she shows you how the freezer will become your new best friend for stocking up on things. While people may feel it's more time consuming or expensive, in the long run, it's going to save you time and money when you freeze your own stocks and sauces.

I don't think I could quit sugar. While I'm going to incorporate a lot of these recipes in to my cooking and life to have a healthier body, mind, and spirit, I could never ever turn my back on my fruits and honey. But if you have the willpower and stamina, GO FOR IT! I'd love to hear your results. Sarah also has a website: I Quit Sugar that you can check out as a companion with the book.

**NOTE: All my views are mine alone. I am receieved this book from Blogging for Books in return for a fair and honest review of the product shown. I am not getting paid to review this book. **

No comments:

Post a Comment