Sunday, February 5, 2017

Book Review: The Behemoth Dinosaur in the Land of Uz

I am not quite sure how to start this review. I have very mixed feelings about it.

I'm always looking for new books to read to my god-daughter who is three. She loves dinosaurs (girl after my own heart!) and I was hoping that this would be another book that we could add to our collection.

Firstly, when I look at it, it reminds me of a story that a child would have written, based on the artwork, and the style of writing.

Secondly, there are lots of grammatical errors, all through the book. I think that the editors should have looked more closely to these. I could let some slide (I mean, you usually find errors in even the classics), but there were errors on almost every page.

Thirdly, I was very confused at first when I started reading. The book offers an English and a Spanish version. English was written in blue, and Spanish in green. I think that's a great concept to have the two languages side by side, but it truly confused me at first. Also, I do not speak Spanish, so I am not sure if the styling is correct.

Fourthly, the book doesn't follow much a storyline. Job sees Dippy (the dino), asks to give him a hug, there is a complication with the villagers, and all of a sudden Dippy starts talking about how his grandparents were on Noah's Ark. It's all very confusing.

And I do not wish to give this book a poor rating, especially if that is the case, but, if this is an adult writing a child's book, I have seen much more exciting stories, even for young children, written.

No comments:

Post a Comment